I’ll be honest, 2020 was a hard year of reading for me. The vibe was all off. I had a hell of a time concentrating on things that required too much brain power, as most of mine was reserved for keeping me anxious, stressed, scared and full of rage.
But, there were some bright spots when it comes to books and they make my annual list of recommendations!
🔪The Whisper Man by Alex North | Caledon Books
- Dark, twisted and legitimately scary at points. This book is a “keep the lights” on kind of read.
🔪The Dark Corners of the Night by Meg Gardiner | Blackstone Publishing
- A gritty, gruesome serial-killer thriller that knocked my tits right off.
🔪Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson | Razorbill
- A spooky YA novel that won’t make you roll your eyes, it’s literally got everything. From zombie girls to boy troubles, a spectrum of representation and twisty twists – what more could you need?
🔪American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century by Maureen Callahan| Viking
- A true crime case that is detailed, passionate and absorbing in it’s fucked-upness, featuring a serial killer without name recognition.
🔪Good Girls Lie by J.T. Ellison | Mira Books
- This is a clever and taut thriller that makes up for its occasional predictability with engaging characters, quick pacing and real-to-life dialogue. One of my favourite reads of 2020.
🔪Lock Every Door by Riley Sager | Dutton Books
- A compulsively readable and suspenseful book thanks to Sager’s masterful grasp of prose and setting creation.
Updated: January 8, 2021